Risi e bisi (rice and peas)
Preparation: less than 30 mins
Cooking time: 10 to 30 mins
- 150g/5½oz long grain rice
- 200ml/7fl oz hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 50g/1¾oz butter
- 75g/2½oz fresh or frozen (defrosted) peas
- 25g/1oz cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place the rice into a saucepan with the chicken stock and simmer for 6-8 minutes.
Stir in the butter and the peas and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
Add the cheese and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
To serve, transfer the rice and peas to a bowl.